Disabling external monitor on radeon fireGL-T2 (Thinkpad r50p)

Hamie hamish at travellingkiwi.com
Sun Feb 13 06:54:08 PST 2005

I have a thinkpad r50p using xorg 6.8.2-rc3 and noticed while looking
for reasons why my battery only lasts a little over an hour, that it
always has the external monitor port enabled & running... (Even when
suspended BTW).

Plugging a monitor in shows the LCD image on the external LCD. Using
Fn-F7 on the thinkpad seems to turn off the external diskplay, but since
there's no feedback as to whether it's actually running or not, I want
some way to actually disable & turn off the hardware associated with
driving the monitor port itself (Turning on & off on the fly would be
cool, but just disabling it in xorg.conf would be a bonus).

I've googled & searched the xorg wiki, and there's lots of queries on
how to get the external port working in various configurations, but
nothing that seems to indicate how to disable it to save power...

Anyone know? Is there a good description somewhere of how to do this?

TIA

Hamish Marson.