Status of xserver/debrix/modular tree?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sat Feb 12 13:46:34 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 13:09 +0100, thomas klein wrote:
> On Saturday 12 February 2005 05:13, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> [...]
> > Running a full-GL desktop would be very sexy, but there's still too
> > much popular hardware that don't support (fast enough) 3D
> > acceleration. Linux distributors wouldn't take this route, at least
> > not for a few years.
>
> I don't know where a new xserver will go except full ogl output.
>
> If "too much users" (hey, I got old cards making a pretty good job at

[...]

> cards, but not usable)(I know, it's experimental). Ogl will simply
> put the accel stuff in mesa, it is allready the case, it's a standard
> well supported by gfx manufacturer.

I basically agree, but have you tried Xglx on free vs. proprietary
OpenGL drivers? The former still have some way to go to make it usable
(but some pressure like the X server requiring it might help them get
there pretty fast :), and we don't want to require proprietary drivers
for the eye candy, do we?