Status of xserver/debrix/modular tree?

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Fri Feb 11 18:19:57 PST 2005

Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Fri, 11 Feb 2005 03:11:17 +0100,
> Bernardo Innocenti <bernie at develer.com> escribió:
>
>>Public reviews are being done both in the Linux Kernel
>>and in GCC, with very good results.  Xorg does them too,
>>but the current process looks weaker to me.
>
> there's a list called xorg-commit-diffs which should help for that, but it seems
> that it stopped working in july 2004

Yes, there's just spam for the last few months.  Anyway, most
projects use ChangeLogs, so I find it more convenient to use
that to see what's been done since the last CVS update.

What I'm missing is patches posted to the xorg list beforehand,
along with a brief explanation.

This lets other developers discuss the changes and be generally
aware about the upcoming changes.

Both the Linux Kernel and GCC do this, and my personal experience
with reviews is that it helps improve code quality a lot.

Team members learn from the work of the others, and their coding
style quickly converges.  Besides, people are less likely to do
things that others would find ugly or inappropriate.

The overhead is rather small (my quess is 5% to 10%), so it
pays off.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/