xorg-6.2.8+radeon..what exactly?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 05:55:56 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:23:06 +0100, Gábor Farkas <gabor at z10n.net> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i've read the release notes at
> http://www.x.org/X11R6.8.2/doc/RELNOTES.html
>
> where i found info that there were some improvements in the radeon code..
> i have a radeon 9000M, so the changes seem to "affect" me ;)
>
> my problem is that io don't know what those changes mean for me as the
> user...
>
> - MergedFB for Radeon (Dualhead DRI support on these cards)

A special kind of multi-head that allows you to use HW accelerated 3d
on both heads.

> - Major Radeon and R200 DRI driver updates

improved 3d drivers.  should fix bugs, improve performance.

> - Render acceleration (r100, r200 chips only)

speed up anti-aliased text drawing

> - Updated 3D drivers

same as DRI driver updates.

> those are the changes that look interesting, but unfortunately i don't
> know what will this do...
>
> is there a more end-user oriented changelog?
>
> like:
> quake will be faster,
> neverwinter nights won't crash that much,
> running the composite extension will be faster,
> glxgears will run faster..
> or more opengl functions are accelerated...
> or something like that..
>
> or, could someone summarize me the radeon changes in  a more
> user-friendly way?

if you are already using 6.8.x you won't really see any difference
other than some bug fixes.  All of the features listed above were part
of 6.8.0.

Alex