voting system

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Feb 9 07:48:41 PST 2005

On Monday 07 February 2005 11:29, Ely Levy wrote:
> bug priority, feature request priority,
> it's nice to know what the users want and what annoys them the most:)

The problem with that line of logic is that users will interpret voting on a
bug as a way to make it get fixed faster, when in fact we are already working
as fast as we can.  Users get frustrated, frustration leads to anger, anger
leads to hate, and hate leads to using NT-derivatives for desktop
applications.

However if you don't give them the option of voting, then they're left with
having to comment on the bug and provide useful information or maybe even a
patch of their own.  Which is all around more productive.

Believe me, if we were to allow voting on bugs, the most voted bugs would go
something like:

- No DRI driver for >= r300
- mharris broke my nvidia driver
- i810 VBIOS writers couldn't find QA with two sherpas a map and a GPS unit
- Composite is slow

To the extent that those are fixable, they're being worked on.  That they're
not done yet should be a clue that they are not trivial.  Voting won't get
them done any faster.

- ajax