X.org/Gatos branch

Steven Amping s_amping at ece.concordia.ca
Sun Feb 6 08:47:05 PST 2005

Alex Deucher wrote:

>On Sat,  5 Feb 2005 11:16:01 -0500, s_amping at ece.concordia.ca
><s_amping at ece.concordia.ca> wrote:
>

>>Quoting Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>:

>>>"the

>>>could use

>>>X.org

>>>Vladimir merged the radeon gatos code into xorg cvs HEAD a while back.
>>> He also posted a patch for the r128 GATOS changes, although that
>>>hasn't been merged yet (there's still a bug with using the engine
>>>before it's initialized).  You'd need to check out and build xorg to
>>>use it, or try the DRI nightly snapshots which include an updated DDX,
>>>drm, and dri lib.
>>>http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/
>>>grab the r200 snapshots.
>>>

>>Ok.  Thanks.

Will these ATI drivers with analog capture be a part of a general X.org
rpm package anytime soon?  At the moment I use the radeon drivers that
come with FC3 and avoid the ATI proprietary drivers.  The radeon driver
I'm using is the driver that comes with kernel 2.6 right?  How does the
analog capture driver for the radeon that is now a part of X.org come
into play?  If you could help me to understand this.  I think I will
wait until May for FC4 -- and the summer -- to test the analog capture
unless these drivers will never be a part of a mainstream distribution?

>>>with

>>>The fireware port on the radeon should be handled by a kernel iee1394
>>>driver, the ohci one as I recall.  gatos will only enable the analog
>>>video stuff.
>>>

>>On the Gatos project web site it says for "All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV
>>(Radeon200)" in the Supported cards section that "Firewire port (at least the
>>one on the card itself) has been observed to work in Linux."
>>
>>So this isn't a part of the Gatos project but the work was done by someone else
>>and put into the linux kernel?  I have gotten firewire to work in Linux before
>>using a USB/firewire card but I thought that the firewire port on the ATI AIW
>>card was not supported.  I will try again and see what I can get it to do.  Do
>>you know of anyone with experience getting this firewire port to work?
>>

>the gatos project just handled the analog input (tuner, video/audio
>decoder, etc.)  AFAIK, the DV port on the 8500DV is just an ohci
>firewire chip on a pci bridge.  take a look at the linux ieee1394
>project.

You were right about this.  After I installed libraw1394 I forgot to do
'make dev' to create the device /dev/raw1394.  So I'm very happy to
report that the firewire port for the ATI 8500DV is working on FC3
without problems.

Thanks for all the help!

Steve