LCD Switching (was: Re: High resolution on i855 external CRT)

Andrew Barr barr.156 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 4 14:29:43 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 16:59 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> Xorg has no support for ACPI at the moment.

Is this something that's planned for the future? A quick check of
relevant pages on the X.Org wiki doesn't have any mention of ACPI as a
planned/future/unfinished project.

> In fact if the bios is
> handling the hotkey events, it may be running into conflict with the X
> server which is probably why you get corruption; that and your LCD
> can't handle a 1280x1024 mode.

I found that using the xrandr command to bring the resolution down to
1024x768 and _then_ using this key does work. Here's the remaining
problem: if I start X with the LCD running (and presumably without the
CRT attached as well) the X server automatically goes down to 1024x768,
the max. resolution of the LCD. 1280x1024 is not available to switch to
via xrandr if I connect the CRT later. Is there any way to have X make
this at least available for me to use if I connect my CRT after startup?

Thanks again,
Andrew