High resolution on i855 external CRT

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 09:18:35 PST 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:05:30 -0500, Andrew Barr <barr.156 at osu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 11:35 -0500, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > To use the mode, just set add it to the screen section of your config
> > along with any other modes you want to use.  see man xorg.conf.  you
> > may have to use the monitorlayout option to force the output to the
> > crt port.
>
> I think I have xorg.conf set up correctly, but the server refuses to
> start. The configuration file and log follow this message, but these
> lines in particular look interesting:
>
> (II) I810(0): Display Info: CRT: attached: TRUE, present: TRUE, size:
> (0,0)
> (II) I810(0): Display Info: TV: attached: FALSE, present: FALSE, size:
> (0,0)
> (II) I810(0): Display Info: DFP (digital flat panel): attached: FALSE,
> present: FALSE, size: (0,0)
> (II) I810(0): Display Info: LFP (local flat panel): attached: TRUE,
> present: TRUE, size: (1024,768)
> (II) I810(0): Display Info: CRT2 (second CRT): attached: FALSE, present:
> FALSE, size: (0,0)
> (II) I810(0): Display Info: TV2 (second TV): attached: FALSE, present:
> FALSE, size: (0,0)
> (II) I810(0): Size of device LFP (local flat panel) is 1024 x 768
> (WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f64 failed.
> (WW) I810(0): SetDisplayDevices call failed, writing config directly to
> SWF0.
> (EE) I810(0): Failed to switch to monitor configuration (0x108)
> (EE) I810(0): Please check the devices specified in your MonitorLayout
>
> Thanks again for all your help.

are you trying for dualhead or just 1280x1024 on the crt only or a
clone mode with 1024x768 on the lfp and 1208x1024 on the crt?

> Andrew
>
> > Alex

<snip>

> # Xorg configuration created by system-config-display
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier     "Multihead layout"
>         Screen      0  "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
>         Screen      1  "Screen1" 0 0

you have two screen entries.  this is used for dualhead.  you only
need one if you want single head or clone.

> [...]
>
>         RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
>         FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>         Load  "dbe"
>         Load  "extmod"
>         Load  "fbdevhw"
>         Load  "glx"
>         Load  "record"
>         Load  "freetype"
>         Load  "type1"
>         Load  "synaptics"
>         Load  "dri"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
> #       Option  "Xleds"         "1 2 3"
>
> # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
> #       Option  "XkbDisable"
>
> # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
> # lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
> # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
> #       Option  "XkbModel"      "pc102"
> # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
> #       Option  "XkbModel"      "microsoft"
> #
> # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
> # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
> #       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
> # or:
> #       Option  "XkbLayout"     "de"
> #       Option  "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
> #
> # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
> # control keys, use:
> #       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
> # Or if you just want both to be control, use:
> #       Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
> #
>         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>         Driver      "kbd"
>         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Synaptics"
>         Driver      "synaptics"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>         Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>         ModelName    "S/T 77E/76E"
>         DisplaySize  320        240
>         HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
>         VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
>         Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier   "Monitor1"
>         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>         ModelName    "Dell 1024x768 Laptop Display Panel"

if you are trying for dualhead you'll need to add:
Screen 0
here.  Also I think monitorlayout generally refers to the crtc order.
so the first entry would be crtc1 and the second would be crtc2.  that
doesn't reflect how you've specified your monitors or screen sections.
 reversing the order of the monitorlayout option may help, but I'm not
familair with the driver, so I don't know how it uses the option
internally (whether it switches the crtc/ouptut mappings or just
forces the outputs on)

> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard1"
>         Driver      "i810"
>         VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
>         BoardName   "Intel 852"
>         BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
>         Screen      1

you'll probably also need the monitorlayout option here too if you are
tryign to get dualhead.