Changing private symbols to public (was: Re: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk))

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Feb 2 15:01:23 PST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Alex Deucher wrote:

>> Ok, so there is some concensus behind this one change then.
>> That was one of the things I was curious about to begin with,
>> however no public discussion seemingly ever occured, so it wasn't
>> possible to find that out until I posted my message to the list
>> asking about why the change went in, etc.
>
>not to beat a dead horse here, but sometimes someone just has to step
>up and do it before you get a discussion.  I can think of plenty of
>interesting patches that sit on the xorg ML or in bugzilla waiting for
>discussion, but nothing ever happens.  Sometimes people worry too much
>about consensus to actually get anything done, so stuff sits waiting
>for feedback that never comes.  Sometimes committing a change like
>this is enough to get the discussion going so that a concensus can be
>reached, otherwise the discussion will never happens and the patch
>will remain unmerged.  That's not to say that an annoucement wouldn't
>be nice in some cases.  Remember, it's cvs, you can always undo :)

I definitely have to agree with you there too Alex, as I've seen
this happen a few times also, and have directly experienced it
myself a few times too.  ;o)

When someone does take this approach however, they should expect
that a discussion might be raised about their commit, which IMHO
is a healthy thing.  Having said that, in this case I'm glad that
I raised my questions, as it appears that there is post-commit
concensus now from the discussion that followed.  Now there's
something to find in the mailing list archives should someone
question the change in the future.  ;o)

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris, Systems Engineer - X11 Development team, Red Hat Canada, Ltd.

IT executives rate Red Hat #1 for value:  http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor