Changing private symbols to public (was: Re: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk))

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Feb 2 14:57:10 PST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Keith Whitwell wrote:

>> It'd also be a good idea to explore the hide-private-symbols
>> stuff Jakub was working on before, which also has the benefit of
>> lowering the number of startup relocations that need to be done,
>> thus cutting down runtime startup costs.  This would have the
>> benefit of making the internal symbols permanently private as
>> well, so such symbol abuses don't occur again down the line.
>
>As a note, Jakub's patch to the Mesa parts of XFree86 has been
>applied for some time now (after extensive rework, by IDR &
>Brian, I think - the original had some largish issues).

Jakub wrote a larger patch for the rest of the X libraries, etc.
to make the whole shebang hide internal symbols and reduce
relocation processing overhead also.  This is the patch I was
referring to above, however it's great to see the Mesa stuff
eventually got integrated too.

On a side note, I talked with ajax and others in IRC yesterday a
bit about the above, and he also mentioned Mesa had been cleaned
up a bit by idr.

One question I neglected to ask, was if libGL is now prelinkable,
or if further work is required to implement all of the
functionality from Jakub's original Mesa patches?

TIA

--
Mike A. Harris, Systems Engineer - X11 Development team, Red Hat Canada, Ltd.

IT executives rate Red Hat #1 for value:  http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor