XvMC 2.0?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:18:23 PST 2005

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:06:22 -0800, Kendall Bennett
<KendallB at scitechsoft.com> wrote:
> Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Any takers to help work on this?
> >
> > I'd like to help out, but unfortunately, I know very little about
> > the video decoding pipeline, other than what's needed for overlays.
> > At some point I may start to resurrect XvMC support for savages
> > (some point, probably being a long ways down the road).
>
> Is there any code for the Savage chipsets at all? I didn't see any in the
> X.org tree when I was looking, but maybe I missed it :-)

It was part of S3's savage code drop:
http://www.botchco.com/alex/S3/S3.zip
http://www.botchco.com/alex/S3/LinuxDriver/
The server side piece is in xorg cvs, but the client lib doesn't seem
to work so no one committed it.  I played around with it, but couldn't
get it going.

> > Does anyone know of any good resources for that?
>
> Well the only sample driver I have seen is the I810 driver, and it is not
> the best driver because it doesn't do IDCT, just motion compensation. The
> part that wasn't clear to me when I first started this project is that
> the XvMC drivers are client/server like the 3D drivers. There is a small
> component in the X server (surface management mostly) and then a client
> side library that does all the real work.
>
> Also take a look at the reference XvMC player that Mark V. wrote (it is
> on the XFree86 web site still I think). We used that a lot to help get
> our code working.

yeah, that's what I was using to test the savage XvMC stuff.

Thanks!

Alex