Proposal for integrating Looking Glass Xorg Mods into Xorg Release 7.1

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Dec 26 07:34:52 PST 2005

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 12:03:51PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> I'm sure if you came with this statement to the linux kernel list you'd
> get a happy entry into killfiles.  If you integrate new optional code into
> an existing larget codebase the first priority should be that it doesn't
> make that codebase less maintainable.  If that regresses your new
> feature that's fine because it's never been part of a release before and
> people don't have the high expectations as for the existing codebase.

Duelling imperatives.

It's fine to the *project* that it regresses his code, but it shouldn't
be *expected* to be fine to him.  Sometimes, this won't be easy to
resolve, or quick.  Sometimes, extensions will remain patches for a
long time for this reason.

This sounds more like a problem of Expectation Management than anything
technical, to me.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"Space is called 'space' because there's so much *space* there."
		- John Walker, of Fourmilab, on Trek's End