Proposal for integrating Looking Glass Xorg Mods into Xorg Release 7.1

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Sat Dec 24 20:42:54 PST 2005

> I'd be interested in some sort of patch review by the list

Good suggestion. I'll send something out when I return from vacation
shortly after 1/02/06. If you can't wait until then, bringover the
lg3d-dev-0-7-1 of the monolithic tree and search for LG3D.
(Most of the changes are in Xserver/dix,Xext,mi,miext/cw,xkb,
and cursor).

> as to if
> certain LG3D mods are correct and maintainable going forward

As to whether the mods I have made are correct, all I can say is that
they are correct in the sense that they are necessary to permit X11 apps
to run in a 3D desktop environment. As to whether these mods are the
BEST way to accomplish the goal, I fully expect that there will be
better ways in many cases. For example, I spent almost a whole year
designing and implementing the approach to unifying 2D and 3D grabs, so
I am fairly confident in the approach I have taken. Other changes, such
as the change to disable the X cursor everywhere, are obvious hacks.
What I am hoping for is that the architectural group can help
come up with better methods for those changes which are hacks.
My goal at this point is to get as many of my changes into head
as possible so I can sync up with new Xorg releases more easily.

> the last
> thing X.org needs is any more #ifdef MYPROJECTHACKSTHISCODE.

I am amenable to changing my code as the architecture committee
sees fit, provided that the new code doesn't regress any
LG functionality or performance. Paul Anderson suggested that
we leave the code enclosed in #ifdefs so that future developers
will know why a particular change was made (similar to what
was done for XINPUT and XKB). This seems like a good idea to me.