adding montior redetect to randr

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Fri Dec 23 17:27:41 PST 2005

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 12:03:25PM +1100, Dave Airlie wrote:
> Hi,
>    I was for some reason thinking about this last night, but how
> useful to people think it would be to add a new Randr request that
> simply allows randr to tell the driver to go off and re-detect the
> monitors plugged into it?
>
> As a first step I think this would be useful, I know it won't solve
> the bigger issues (can we change the modelist the driver hands out
> dynamically?? can randr handle that?)
>
> Just a thought for the day,
> Dave.

Yes, imho there should be a pScrn callback that has the driver check all
it's outputs and reconfigure itself as needed. There maybe should even
be a quick hash of the EDID block added to the monitor struct; so that
we not only check wether a monitor is attached (if at all possible), but
also check wether this is the same monitor as last time.

As always, twini his driver and sisctrl do output redetection, modelist
adjustment, etc already :) He is a hard act to follow.

Luc Verhaegen.