Xorg 7: The new world order

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Thu Dec 22 16:48:55 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 08:10:26AM +0800, Mr E_T wrote:
> First of all I will admit to becoming so frustrated as to spit out
> inconsidered comments.

You're right.

> I use a LFS system and already manage 500+ packages on my system.

Then you get to keep both pieces, dude.  That's what distributions are
for, and if you elect not to use one, you get to deal with the pain.
There's a reason most of the popular distributions have a dedicated X
packager, often with others assisting as the need arises (this is the
situation currently with Ubuntu, with Fedora/RHEL, and to some degree
also with SUSE and Mandriva).

> I don't use gnome because of the extremely complicated build/install
> process.

So you keep saying, but I don't see how it's relevant.

> If Someone was to provide a set of config scripts/setups to package a
> semi-modular xorg - ie
> XOrg-docs
> XOrg-protocols
> XOrg-libs
> XOrg-apps   ( Including data - too interlocked - maybe they should be
>               merged in cvs ? )
> XOrg-drivers ( I would probably include the server in this one too )
> XOrg-fonts
> XOrg-utils
>
> extras would does not need to be included.
>
> Would this be looked at seriously to be included as another source alternative ??

What do you mean, package?  These scripts exist already in the form of
the debian/ directories for the Ubuntu package set for R7 (currently
being updated from RC4 to final), and the Fedora .spec files.

If you just want it built, then look at util/modular/build.sh, and make
it use checkinstall.

Or just make jhbuild use checkinstall.

But others have already pointed this out repeatedly, so I guess this is
also going to fall on deaf ears.  Ho hum.

> I would consider adding a configure fragment to each package - say configure.semi-mod
> (.in would conflict with the existing configure script)
> than a configure in the base directory based on the merged configure.semi-mods

You mean, like a cached configure result?  It would totally be a great
idea if someone did that ...

> It would also help us kde'ers a lot :}

How?  KDE developers have been using the modular tree for a very long
time now.  (And my KDE account may be long-lapsed, but I think I still
understand the issues.)