Modular X.org and the Unichrome forks.

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Dec 22 12:05:15 PST 2005

On Thursday 22 December 2005 13:10, Alan Cox wrote:
> Modular means that Luc can maintain his driver seperately and people can
> easily try it. Thats great - its really good that people can try
> alternatives and hopefully knock remaining bugs out. In the mean time
> X.org needs to ship a driver, and the one with the least regressions is
> the logical conservative choice until the developers figure out what
> they are doing.

I have no desire to turn a choice among two drivers into a choice among three.
If Xorg ships effectively the stable branch of one or the other project, then
we're creating driver number 3.  We _had_ to do this for 7.0 because we had
to have parity with 6.9.  Doing it again in the 7.1 timeframe is mistake
unless, and only unless, the driver we ship as part of the 7.1 katamari is
clearly superior to either of the other two in terms of user experience.

And I don't really see that happening without some sort of detente between the
various via developers, or else someone cherry-picking from the other two
development efforts.

I don't want to see features removed without good cause.  I also don't want to
see via turn into the same kind of unmaintainable mess as radeon has been.
So neither unichrome nor openchrome seems like a winner here, as far as I'm
informed.

(And, seriously, the via driver?  Isn't there something more important to be
fighting over, like lager vs. ale?)

- ajax