Xorg 7: The new world order

Thu Dec 22 09:18:30 PST 2005

Mr E_T wrote:
> Its a shame that when XOrg went modular that they went too far.
> 6.9 is probably the last XOrg version that I will use.
> 7.0 it too modularised for me.
> Too much of a pain to build.
> Too many sources.

Yes, there is a lot - but after the one-time initial pain of
building them all once, many shouldn't need to be rebuilt again
for a long time, if ever.  Do you really rebuild all your fonts
that often?

If enough people agree with you, it will be much easier for you
to band together and build meta-packages that combine the Xorg
packages into larger packages that you download and build as a
single unit than it would be for those who want more granularity
to break it down further if we had broken into bigger chunks.
It's not inconceivable in fact that someone could regenerate a
complete monolith tarball of all the sources from a rollup release
using a script like the build.sh in Xorg CVS to build them all as
a single unit.

If not, then I hope 6.9 works for you forever and you don't ever
buy a new graphics card that it doesn't support.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com