Modular X.org and the Unichrome forks.

John Robinson john.robinson at anonymous.org.uk
Thu Dec 22 04:46:59 PST 2005

Posting on behalf of Tony Grant, a regular subscriber to the
openchrome-users list.

On 22/12/2005 11:40, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Iau, 2005-12-22 at 20:13 +1000, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
>> Why is XvMC support removed? I thought XvMC support was what made the
>> epia platform interesting in the first place.
>
> Agreed - its essentially useless without XvMC for all the people who use
> it as a set top box to watch DVD and digital TV streams.

Alan,

Thank you for your voice of reason (once more!). Your comments put this
miserable affaire (we unichrome users have been supporting it for too
long now) into a reasonable perspective. Fedora Core 4 was almost
perfect with respect to support of my Epia M10000 powered hush. It is
very reassuring to see the graphics chipset recognised and the correct
driver loaded.

X.org maintainers,

I am a vote for X.org adopting the openchrome version of the driver. It
supports more hardware and is of use to the end user, someone who has
been forgotten by the unichrome project. There are Fedora Core rpms that
make hardware acceleration a "yum update" option, with FC5 this will be
on out of the box. Gentoo and others also have builds. Xine and VDR
benefit from it as well as MythTV to a certain extent.

Thank you for your time.

Tony Grant

-- Tony Grant www.tgds.net - vente d'ordinateurs mini-itx en ligne
www.tgds.net/epiaix1.html - A fedora Core 4 based live CD for VIA Epia-M