Modular X.org and the Unichrome forks.

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Dec 22 03:06:59 PST 2005

On Iau, 2005-12-22 at 04:36 +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> - VBE modesetting removed (only hurts unichrome Pro panels - VBE was
> part of the reason for the fork)

So your code causes reversions and loss of support for end users.

> Openchrome.org code:
> - Kept XvMC.
> - Kept VBE modesetting for unichrome pro panel.
> - Kept cache prefetching memcpy.

And openchrome doesnt

> This means that, unless the fork is resolved, future X releases will not
> officially endorse any unichrome driver. X.org will not choose a side.

X.org needs to choose a side so that it packages something.

> I hope that this clears this painful situation, in a way that is
> acceptable for all parties.

It makes it worse for everyone. Whats next, vendors together fork X.org
to include a VIA driver ?

<Vendor hat on>

The fact openchrome supports hardware and the new code breaks existing
functional hardware means its totally obvious that the openchrome code
should be used and shipped as a default in X.org. Reversions are bad.

</Vendor hat>

Once the new code supports everything the old code does, then perhaps
there should be a discussion and some planning around best options.
Until then it seems people are jumping the gun and X should just ship
openchrome so that users don't suffer.

Alan