Intel 955 chipset with a plasma TV

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:29:34 PST 2005

On 12/12/05, Zoltán Kovács <kovzol at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The xorg intel driver uses the bios to set modes.  if the bios does
> > not have a mode for you monitor you are largely out of luck (there are
> > some hack, but they don't always work).  Since the modes you are
> > looking to use are somewhat non-standard, I suspect you will have
> > problems.
> >
> > Alex
>
>  Alex, thank you for your note! Now I'm checking for another configuration.
> It's Intel GMA 900. I am afraid the same facts are true for this integrated
> graphics card, aren't they? Do I need also the BIOS information about this
> new machine? Unfortunately the dealer man at Dell couldn't help me sharing
> any information about the BIOS. :-(
>
>  Or, in general, does all Intel driver look for the BIOS settings when
> communicating to the monitor?

the i810 driver handles all intel chips (i810-i9xx).  they all have
the same limitation in that the bios is required for setting the mode
any all outputs.  I seriously doubt the bios would have modes for the
odd tv-resolutions you spoke of.  If you're lucky it'll have basic
ones like 640x480, 1024x768, etc.

Alex