xorgcfg and ati

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Sun Dec 11 06:48:36 PST 2005

I'm sure this is something simple but after twiddling with 6.8.2,kernel
re-compiles (2.6.15-rc2) and 6.8.99.903 (currently installed) it's time to
ask for help.

The box is a Dell Optiplex GX1, on board ATI Rage Pro AGP (1X/2X), which I
believe is really a Mach64 Utah. The distro is a source based one,
Lunar-Linux.

X works alright the problem is I cannot get the bugger switched to agp mode 2.
When I run "X -configure" or "xorgcfg" they always select "vga" for the
driver instead of "ati". And since it always chooses "vga" it won't add the
options supported by the card to xorg.conf.

Now I can manually change that and X runs fine with "ati" but as mentioned
cannot get the card switched to agpmode 2. Thinking it might be a syntax
thing I have tried adding the option AGPMode/agp_mode with no luck.

I had thought perhaps the mtrr might be at fault. Catting "/proc/mtrr" shows
it using 4M which is not what lspci -v shows which is 16M. So I did the
disable/echo thing on the mtrr and it now shows 16M with write-combining.
Well, I still cannot get into agpmode 2.

I've tried various kernel compiles with/without agp/drm compiled as modules
and built in but still no luck.

TIA
Dennis
--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.