Xorg Configuration Problem on Itanium64 System with ATI Rage XL

Wolfgang Meyerle rotlicht at online.de
Thu Dec 8 15:30:52 PST 2005

Hi, I have problems getting my xserver running.
I'm using as the title already says EFI on an IA64 System and elilo for
It seems like the ATI Rage XL card can't be recognized by xorg.
It terminates with the message
using vt7

After I disabled support in kernel for framebuffer devices xorg now
gives me the error message:
ATI(0): Adapters found to be in VGA mode on server entry are not
supported by the MMIO-only version of this driver

The xorg.conf uses the ati driver which is not the closed source one
from ati.
I don't have any xorg.conf at all now because if I have the one from the
example I run into following problems:
If I change the driver from vga to ati in the (Template:
xorg.conf.example) I get the error:
[EE] No devices detected

The other system I have is an AMD Opteron (same Graphic card and system
configuration). There the xserver starts without problems as long as I
do not have any xorg.conf at all.

I googled around a bit and found that there were problems concerning my
Configuration (IA64+XFree86) in the year 2004.
I also found a patch that would probably fix this but I don't know if
it's I can handle it because it seems to be for the xfree86 X Server and
not for xorg.

Look for yourself and tell me what you think about it:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2002/10/msg00021.html
Are there things I have to consider concerning the xorg installation?

Regards,

Wolfgang Meyerle
Informatik Student of the university of applied sciences in Ingolstadt