WINDOWPATH environment variable?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Dec 7 15:29:56 PST 2005

Hi,

Carsten Haitzler, le Tue 06 Dec 2005 22:09:08 +0900, a écrit :
> >  but on the short term WINDOWPATH would be quite handy for getting
> > similar result with much less pain.
>
> well if that is what you need it is as simple as setting it before the
> wm/session manager/desktop startup starts and everything will inherit it. it
> doesnt have to invovle x, wm authors, etc. etc. :)

Good candidates for performing this are xinit and xdm, so yes it
involves Xorg.

What about the name? Does it seem good enough?

> > > as a naieve "catch all" xterm can just display all new text to the
> > > braille term. that way non-braille-aware apps will work in terms of
> > > basic display (ncurses wont - but simple question/answer stuff will
> > > work nicely).
> >
> > For this, we have a daemon running in the X session that peeks tty text
> > thanks to at-spi and let the user read it appropriately (just like the
> > linux text console, actually)
>
> hmmm - hacking xterm sounds maybe better - but i guess it does work this way. :)

Hacking xterm will be needed for exposing an at-spi interface anyway.
The good thing with at-spi is that both braille, speech, whatever
assistive technology will then be able to get xterm's text.

> > > i can see usefulness there - but i think even just handling basic text
> > > streams on stdout/strderr would be a nice fallback.
> >
> > Mmm, indeed. But this would prevent a lot of features: the application
> > not knowing the size of the braille display, not getting braille
> > keypresses, etc.
>
> good point - though xterm could handle that - by limiting output of 1 line (or
> how ever much the braile term can display) and then requiring the user to page
> to get the rest...

Yes, but then it's a pain for _non_ visually-impaired people who are
working with visually-impaired people.

> but i do have to admit - i have never even seen such a
> device, so i'm talking only on what i imagine it might be like. :)

You imagined quite well so far :)

Regards,
Samuel