Multiseat

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Tue Dec 6 06:36:03 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 02:04:00PM -0800, stuart kreitman wrote:
> Jay Cotton wrote:
> >Christoffer Gurell wrote:
> >>On http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ChangesSince68 there is one line saying
> >>Multiseat support.
> >>Where can i find information about this feature? How it work and how to
> >>configure it? I can't find any information on it anywhere. Perhaps it is
> >>yet to be documented?
> >
> Daniel Stone professed some activity on this subject once.

It's highly phase-of-moon dependent.  Basically you need a driver which
treads as softly as possible around VGA routing in particular, lest your
whole system explode.  If you sort that (the nvidia driver in particular
is known to work quite well, and ISTR radeon being OK too; it's been a
while), and start your first server normally, and consecutive servers
with -sharevts -novtswitch, you should be alright.  Input should be
dealt with via evdev.  -isolateDevice may also be very useful.

I don't have a multiseat system anymore, so I can't speak as to whether
it still works or not, but I wouldn't be surprised: it's very, very
flaky.

Cheers,
Daniel