WINDOWPATH environment variable?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon Dec 5 06:34:07 PST 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:37:01 +0100 Samuel Thibault
<samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > Samuel Thibault, le Mon 05 Dec 2005 12:09:24 +0100, a $(D+1(Bcrit :
> > > Samuel Thibault, le Mon 05 Dec 2005 12:02:20 +0100, a $(D+1(Bcrit :
> > >
> > > (I mean, the solution based on a relaying extension)
> >
> > but how does the braileserver per display know what vt it is on?
>
> In this solution, the relay would be an module of the X server itself,
> which would hence be able to add the vt number on the fly.
>
> > x doesnt present this info last i checked.
>
> Well, it does through the XFree86VT root property, but it's more a hack

never noticed that one - never needed it though. :)

> than a feature, we shouldn't rely on that, indeed. (Though it is handy
> for the already-working basic braille focus handling that people are
> currently using).

true. i guess to some extent the environment variable thing is nice - but
something says there is something bad about it to me - maybe needing to add
something to add it to the envirnment of every login session....

> > also we have a problem of remote apps being able to display on the
> > local braille terminal as well.
>
> The X server relaying module would set its own braille server and define
> some environment variable for applications to connect to it instead of
> the "root" braille server. Then ssh can forward connections to that port
> and the WINDOWID variable.

ouch this feels a little painful. somehow i'm wondering if perhaps a new x
output device would perhaps be cleanest?

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
$BMg9%B?(B
Tokyo, Japan ($BEl5~(B $BF|K\(B)