Keyboard question/change request

Troy tjk at tksoft.com
Thu Dec 1 03:12:29 PST 2005

Hi,

I am a member of a workgroup which is designing a new keyboard
layout for Finland (and therefore also for Sweden).
The purpose of the new keyboard is to enable the input
of a large range of latin based characters. Microsoft
has been involved in the work, so their support is built
into the process.

The keyboard is based largely on using dead-keys.
The goal is generate an open ended group of Unicode characters,
using Unicode's combinations to generate characters.
The goal is to allow users to type any character, even ones
without a precomposed equivalent. We have used MES-2 as
a checklist for the important characters, but any Unicode
character which can be generated from a combination of the
listed diacritics and letters should be allowed to be generated
using the keyboard.

Because of the limited number of keys available on the keyboard,
we have been forced to add some uses for dead-keys which are not
currently possible on MS Windows or X Windows (unless the capability has
been added to X Windows w/o me noticing). Specifically, current
dead-keys always combine with the following character, or then
generate the diacritic itself. Our new design requires that two
or more dead-keys can be used to generate a character with both
of those diacritics. (Some other special combinations are also
specified.) There are also some additional dead-keys which are
currently not allowed.

I would like to know who is the person, or the persons, who
are responsible for keyboard input handling for X Windows?

FYI, the address for our workgroup is http://www.kotoistus.fi/

Troy Korjuslommi                Tksoft Inc.
tjk at tksoft.com