State of Linux graphics

Allen Akin akin at pobox.com
Wed Aug 31 12:06:10 PDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 01:48:11PM -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
| Certainly replicating OpenGL 2.0's programmability through Render makes
| no sense at all to me (or most others, I believe/hope).  If you want to
| use full use of the GPU, I'm happy to say you should be using OpenGL.

When expressed that way, as a question of whether you're using the GPU
all-out, I think it's easy for everyone to agree.  But we also need to
beware of the slippery slope where functionality gets duplicated a piece
at a time.

This has already happened in several areas, so it remains a concern.
For me at least. :-)

Allen