Input device design (3)

James Cloos cloos+pdx-xorg at jhcloos.com
Tue Aug 30 23:56:42 PDT 2005

BTW, just to be clear, I (at least) wasn't thinking of having the
actual i/o events go through this os-dependant, external server,
but rather just the initial discovery and hotplugging of i/o devices.

I was expecting the external server to notify the X server of the
locations of the devices.  Ie, on Linux it could tell the X server
that /dev/input/event5 just appeared, is a pointer, and should join
the set of core pointers.  Or that eg /dev/input/event2 went away
and should be close(2)ed.  Et cetera.

Routing the actual input events through such an external server seems
like too much overhead and latency, though I could easily be wrong;
perhaps that is after all the best option for input devices, if not
for output devices (screens, speakers, readers, braille, etc).

Someone should test it out and see how well -- or not -- it works in practice.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <cloos at jhcloos.com>