State of Linux graphics

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 22:17:03 PDT 2005

On 8/31/05, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 00:50 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > On 8/30/05, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > > 'As a whole, the X.org community barely has enough resources to build a
> > > single server. Splitting these resources over many paths only results in
> > > piles of half finished projects. I know developers prefer working on
> > > whatever interests them, but given the resources available to X.org,
> > > this approach will not yield a new server or even a fully-competitive
> > > desktop based on the old server in the near term. Maybe it is time for
> > > X.org to work out a roadmap for all to follow.'
> > >
> > > You lose.
> >
> > Daniel Stone, the administrator of freedesk.org, has just taken it
> > upon himself to censor my article on the state of the X server. His
> > lame excuse is that I have stopped working the core of Xegl. It
> > doesn't seem to matter that I contributed 1,000s of lines of code to
> > fd.o that I am continuing to do maintenance on. So much for this being
> > a free desktop.
>
> Sigh.  As I explained in the long thread we had in private mail, I have
> done several cleanups now on inactive accounts and projects.  You are
> absolutely not the first, and will not be the last.  I have not done
> such sweeps for a while, because I have not had time.  The realisation
> that your account was doing nothing other than hosting an HTML page now
> that I have some amount of time to look at fd.o again was enough to spur
> me to start a cleanup, and indeed, I am in the process of pinging many
> other dormant contributors; many of which have merely stopped working on
> X and may return, rather than having posted long statements of
> resignation to the list.
>
> And, as I explained, a simple statement of intent from you that you
> intend to resume active development will be enough to justify your
> account being renewed.

I told you multiple times that I am doing bug fixes and maintenance on
1,000s of lines of contributed code. Is that not a valid reason to
have an account? So only people writing new code can have accounts? I
guess you will have to disable half of all the accounts on fd.o to
enforce that policy.

You censored the article.

>From the fd.o account policy page:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/AccountRequests

What the Project Leader does
      Review and approve the request for an account & access to your project.

I believe I am a member of five projects on fd.o and you are not the
Project Leader of any of them. I would like to see the request from
the Project Leaders for my account removal.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com