Input device design (3)

Johnson, Charles F charles.f.johnson at intel.com
Mon Aug 29 15:01:56 PDT 2005

Russell's comments is exactly what I've been thinking of:

**********************
*      X Server      *
**********************         *******************
* X Config Interface *  <----  * X Config Client *  -> DBUS -> HAL
**********************         *******************

In this setup, the X Config Client (XCC) would handle:

1. Input Device Discovery
2. Input Device Hot Plug & Removal Tracking
3. Notifications to X Server on Events in #2

This enables:
1. Removal from the X server knowledge of OS & platform specific
   hot plug mechanisms.
   (Linux can have its own, Solaris its own, etc.).
2. Makes it possible that the X server may not have to run as root
   anymore.  (Assuming the XCC passes a fd to the server.)
3. Allows the X server to evolve independent of the
   OS & platform configuration detection mechanism.

Please let me know if this is too simplistic view of the world.

--Charles Johnson
Intel Corp.
charles.f.johnson at intel.com

X,