Mesa 6.3.1 merge

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Aug 25 07:36:26 PDT 2005

Keith Whitwell wrote:
> Mike A. Harris wrote:

>>> Right.  I want to omit the old Mesa GLU 1.1 code, not the GLU 1.3
>>> code from SGI.

>>> Right.  The distros have been avoiding using Mark Kilgard's GLUT
>>> because of its lack of a real license.  And the dos, ggi and mini
>>> subdirectories in there have GPL code.
>>

>> Due to legal concerns about Mark Kilgard's GLUT, legal counsel had us
>> remove GLUT from our OS, which we later replaced with freeglut once
>> freeglut became stable and useable.
>>
>> Does the Mesa source still contain Mark's GLUT source?  If so, is there
>> any chance of having it removed from the Mesa tarball and put in a
>> separate tarball to avoid having code with legal issues in the Mesa
>> source?
>>
>> We'll be using the stock Mesa official tarballs in Fedora Core 5
>> and later OS releases that ship X11R7, but we'll have to remove
>> the GLUT source manually and ship modified Mesa tarballs in our
>> upcoming OS releases if GLUT is present.  I'd like to avoid that
>> if it's at all possible.
>>
>> Perhaps Mesa could replace GLUT with freeglut, or even just a
>> pointer to freeglut?
>

> Freeglut is pretty broken.  I'd prefer not to lose glut from the
> standard mesa builds.

Like Keith said, freeglut isn't quite up to the level that the
original GLUT is, so I'm not going to dump it just yet.

Currently the GLUT sources are in the MesaDemos tarball.  I guess I
could make a 3rd tarball with just the GLUT bits.

Mike, Is the normal Mesa release included in Fedora Core?  The only
Mesa-related RPMs I see in FC4 are:

xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.2-31.i386.rpm
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.2-31.i386.rpm

The first just has libGL.so and the second has libGLU.so.

-Brian