Xgl/Xegl future?

Allen Akin akin at pobox.com
Mon Aug 22 14:23:08 PDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 08:05:18PM +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:
|       ... In this case we should take a closer look at M$'s avalon, a
| scene graph description is much more what we would like to have here.

I'm definitely a fan of scene graph APIs.  It'll be interesting to learn
how effective Avalon turns out to be; I'm positive about what I've seen
of it so far.

But even with a scene graph API, you have to decide which lower-level
constructs (shader programs, geometry, rendering contexts, etc.) will be
visible to applications.  That leads you back to the question of whether
you're going to expose the lower-level API or have a new redundant API
that tries to provide equivalent functionality.

And not all content is static; you probably still need a comprehensive
immediate-mode API for things that are dynamic.

Allen