Xgl/Xegl future?

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 17:11:57 PDT 2005

> Basically, what I'm wondering is: Assuming that more or less the same
> functionality that Xgl provides can be provided with EXA + (possibly, if
> even necessary) toolkit GL backends, could that be the faster way to
> achieve the goal of a smooth and eye-candy-rich X desktop? And would it
> also allow making improvements in other areas like input more easily
> available to users with hardware that doesn't support GL (well enough
> for Xgl)?
>
> Of course, if this approach would inherently preclude something
> important that Xgl would enable, it's no go. But I haven't seen
> something like that yet.

The basic issue I can see at the moment, is interactivity and
scheduling, 3D pipelines are getting longer, to efficiently schedule
multiple app on the GPU, we will start to run into the fact that the
DRM lock is somewhat akin to a sledgehammer, I'm sure this problem is
solvable but I think getting Xegl working is an easier direction.....

(for example running two glxgears shows obvious scheduling issues)...

Dave.