multiseat (was: Re: Input Devices (was: Re: [Xgl/Xegl] Input Devices ))

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun Aug 21 15:12:51 PDT 2005

On Sunday 21 August 2005 12:09, David Balažic wrote:
> Here is what I would expect for multiseat in next version of X :
>   - improved video driver behavior in multi-card setups (are the problems
> for multiseat different than for "classic" multimonitor/multihead setup ?)

This is not a fun problem to solve, it involves lots of PCI routing ickiness,
but people are looking at it.

>   - dropping legacy kbd driver for "evdev" (or whatever its called; the
> thing that allows selection of keyboards by some ID)
>   - same for mouse (if needed at all)

evdev is pretty well usable for both keyboards and mice.  The evdev driver has
been in Xorg since sometime before the first 6.8.99.x snapshot, and will be
in both the 6.9 and 7.0 releases.

>   - option for X not to touch VT system (so the first seat would have
> classic VTs, while the other would just run X)

Hrm, yep, definitely have that now:

~ % X -help 2>&1 | grep vt
vtXX                   use the specified VT number
-novtswitch            don't immediately switch to new VT
-sharevts              share VTs with another X server

(The help text for -novtswitch is slightly misleading, it disables VT switch
functionality for that server entirely.)

- ajax