Xgl/Xegl future?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 12:53:51 PDT 2005

> hmm... interesting... have you any references on what you say? I mean, URLs
> pointing to such software you're talking about?

1.) The cairo-opengl backend called glitz, since GTK-2.8 is almost
fully based on Cairo its possible to run GTK on top of OpenGL:
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/glitz

2.) The Java2D OpenGL pipeline:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/campbell/archive/2004/11/behind_the_grap.html

3.) Arthur (the paint engine of QT4) :
http://lists.trolltech.com/qt4-preview-feedback/2004-07/msg00048.html

So in fact many toolkits at least provide an additional OpenGL backend
for things RENDER could be used. They are just forced to provide OGL
backends too since uses want shiny effects and RENDER support is quite
bad in overall.

lg Clemens