Xgl/Xegl future?

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 03:39:00 PDT 2005

> well, within X11, as an end-user, I'd like to know what exactly the future of
> Xgl/Xegl is?

It is the same as it has always been, the future of Xgl relies a lot
on changes to the DRI architecture mainly being memory management
(will hopefully make pbuffers, FBOs possible), and mode setting....

Then there is writing drivers for EGL, which is something close to
writing a miniglx driver at this stage, or porting a bit of the X.org
DDX....

> After having read the "Stopping work on EGL and Xgl" by Jon Smirl on exactly
> my birthday's day, I must say I am really confused.
> However, are there others that are contributing to it? Is there even *any*
> future of getting OpenGL-backed X11 some day?

Yes, we have an OpenGL-backed X11 right now, Xgl is an OpenGL backed
X11 implementation right now, and Jon implemented Xegl for Radeon
(which I've running on my PC at the moment), but this is all
prototyping work, there is a good bit of work from all layers to make
a finished Xegl even close to the X server we have now,

> I mean, regarding competition to OS/X and the upcoming Win32, I really fear
> for what ppl are going to say about UNIX's user interface.

You fall into Jon's trap there, developers aren't motivated by fear or
OS/X or Windows, nearly every X developer doesn't care, we just want
to make X better.

Dave.