Xgl/Xegl future?

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Fri Aug 19 03:36:28 PDT 2005

On Aug 19, 05 11:55:25 +0200, Christian Parpart wrote:
> well, within X11, as an end-user, I'd like to know what exactly the future of
> Xgl/Xegl is?
>
> After having read the "Stopping work on EGL and Xgl" by Jon Smirl on exactly
> my birthday's day, I must say I am really confused.

David is still busy working on Xgl. Jon was mostly contributing a large
part to Xegl, the stand-alone version of Xgl.

I'm sad he left, but development will continue. There are still so many
rough edges and unfinished buisness in Xgl itself, that work naturally
concentrates on this stuff.

> However, are there others that are contributing to it? Is there even *any*
> future of getting OpenGL-backed X11 some day?

I assume so :)
I wouldn't work on it otherwise.

There is one more thing going on that *really* makes me nervous:
M$ trying to push out OpenGL from Windows:

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/cgi_directory/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000001

CU

Matthias

--