contributing new font package for xorg

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Aug 14 10:45:16 PDT 2005

Edward G.J. Lee wrote:

> > A PDF font is a set of subroutines called by the PDF document. Its
> > functionally something like
> >

> > 	font = new font("Times New Roman", 12);
> > 	font->draw("H");
> > 	font->draw("I");
> >

> > the document doesn't work without the font. Derivate works is a murky
> > area but that doesn't strike me as one. How is it different to using GPL
> > libraries or at an abstract level from pasting a picasso into your
> > picture and claiming its not derivative of picasso's work. Or perhaps
> > putting a small piece by another composer into your work.
>
>   To embed font into pdf/ps is optional, not necessary.

Nobody is arguing about the case where a document file merely
references a font by name, only the case where the font is embedded.

>   According to PDF spec(v1.6) page 436, font file(program) is an
>   another license, diff from document context and pdf medium itself.
>   PDF will record the necessary copyright/permission information.
>   And those embedded font data(program?) can be seperate from PDF.
>   [Note] ps document with ps font has similar situation.
>
>   It's not the situation as software lib or picture/image, IMHO.
>
>   We need more clearly definition of `Derivate work' I think. And we
>   need a suitable license for fonts(bitmap and vector font) too. Maybe
>   the license for (programming)software is not suitable for font?

I don't think the problem is with the definition of a derivate work. A
document which embeds a copy of a font is rightly (IMHO) a derivative
work of the font.

I would agree that the GPL isn't a particularly suitable licence for
fonts, due to its "contagious" nature; i.e. if you want to embed a GPL
font in a document, you would have license the document as a whole
(including the text) under the GPL. You could also release the text
under other licences, but you can't avoid granting the recipient the
rights specified in the GPL.