contributing new font package for xorg

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Aug 13 17:35:38 PDT 2005

On Sad, 2005-08-13 at 11:44 +0800, Edward G.J. Lee wrote:
>   GPLed font only affect the font matter itself, it's nothing to do
>   with pdf medium or abstract document context. What GPL can affect
>   is the font data in the pdf medium, not document context nor pdf
>   itself. They are not derivative work each other. So there are three
>   separate license in a pdf document.

A PDF font is a set of subroutines called by the PDF document. Its
functionally something like

	font = new font("Times New Roman", 12);
	font->draw("H");
	font->draw("I");

the document doesn't work without the font. Derivate works is a murky
area but that doesn't strike me as one. How is it different to using GPL
libraries or at an abstract level from pasting a picasso into your
picture and claiming its not derivative of picasso's work. Or perhaps
putting a small piece by another composer into your work.

Alan