[Mesa3d-dev] Stopping work on EGL and Xgl

Peter Karlsson petekarl at student.chalmers.se
Fri Aug 12 01:46:49 PDT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Jon Smirl wrote:

> After discussing this with several people I have decided to stop
> working on EGL and Xgl. The recent work on EXA is going to have the
> side effect of pushing out any hope for an Xgl release by a year or
> more.  By extending the 2D drivers to accelerate composite end user
> demand for Xgl will also be reduced.

I am very sorry to hear this. Your work is appreciated (as is, of
course, all others working on FOSS-projects) and I hope that it
will be continued by others. Unfortunately I don't have the required
skills (or the time for now) to help. This project seems so right...
building the Xserver on top of OpenGL is the right way to go.

Good luck with your other projects!

Best regards

Peter K