contributing new font package for xorg

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Thu Aug 11 12:55:44 PDT 2005

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> >
> > Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> >
> >>I agree that we need to publish our criteria for inclusion in Xorg, both
> >>for fonts and packages in general, but I believe for the specific example
> >>you raised, the Bitstream Vera fonts, X11R7.0 will not include them, but
> >>will simply include a note telling people to get them from
> >>http://www.gnome.org/fonts/.
> >

> > So far the extras stuff has been distributed by Xorg as well as its
> > upstream, is this going to change?
>
> I think we'll have an "extras" directory in the ftp sites with the
> tarballs from the upstream containing the versions we've tested with,
> but won't be repackaging them or adding in our own build system as we
> used to.

We can mirror it into a contrib directory and then make the links
from the wiki to point to that FTP but honestly I don't see the difference
if it's linked from sourcforge or freedesktop FTP.
What might be intresting is to make tested or recommanded font lists
if someone who really understands about fonts can help out.

Anyhow I'm collecting/googling now for freefonts to add to the wiki page
so feel free to either add it or email me about it:)

Ely