contributing new font package for xorg (fwd)

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:34:33 PDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Iau, 2005-08-11 at 11:35 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Ok, I forgot about that one. Does Xprint provide a clear UI to
> > indicate that you have permission to embed the font into the PS file?
> > Independent of the font GPL question that UI needs to be there in case
> > you have commercial fonts on your machine.
>
> Proprietary fonts don't (generally) require you include the font source
> with your document and a notice stating where they are, or if commercial
> possibly a written offer for their supply. They have proprietary but
> -sane- licensing interactions. GPL has free but idiotic interactions.
> There are other much better open source font licenses that don't blow up
> like this.

PS/PDF will embed the comment fields from from the fonts, right? I
believe that is the way font copyright info is conveyed. Could we
satisfy the GPL by including it in the comments and providing a
comment with a URL back to Xorg where the source can be downloaded?

Another possibility would be to set the DRM bit in the GPL fonts to
stop them from being embedded.

The problem is that these fonts have thousands of hours of work in
them and no simple way to undo the GPL license.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com