contributing new font package for xorg (fwd)

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:59:34 PDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at sun.com> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
> > So if xorg likes the font there is no trouble including in a X server
> > release right?
>
> There's also little benefit to doing so.   It will just be another tarball
> in the modular release directory for distributors to choose, and there isn't
> really much difference in picking that up from an x.org mirror instead of
> a sourceforge.net mirror.

The benefit of inclusion in Xorg signifies that the font has been
reviewed by X org developers and they feel that it has been built
properly.

There are a bunch of fonts out there that people are publishing. Many
of these are messed up in some manner. Inclusion in xorg works as a
filter to weed out the messed up fonts. While you and I can identify a
messed up font, many users can't tell and consequentially can't figure
out why their documents don't look right.

X is really lacking in font choices, we should do what we can to
encourage more choice.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com