X Zoom Extension: Ideas and Suggestions!

Thu Apr 28 09:48:30 PDT 2005

Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:
> Jim Gettys wrote:
>
>> And damage lets us know whether window contents are changing under us,
>> so we can figure out what to do when...
>

> Wouldn't it be better for the server to scale the coordinates of
> the X primitives on the fly? I admit that this would not be trivial,
> but would surely be more efficient, at least from the network point
> of view.

That was our initial thought several years ago when we first started
working with the GNOME Accessibility project on screen magnification,
but we ended up dropping the idea, because they wanted far more control
over the magnified output than a simple server side magnifier could
provide.   For some cases, it's probably good enough, and clearly more
could be made more efficient, but those weren't the cases we had to
tackle.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com