xkeyboard-config and modular release

Sun Apr 17 09:28:38 PDT 2005

Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
>>How many users will be broken?   Why is it a good idea to break
>>compatibility?   Why is it not a better idea to simply continue
>>to ship the working files we have and not break things for our users?
>
> Because they are not working properly. They are not consistent. The
> organization of the layout tree is ad-hoc and messy. And, finally,
> there are loads of bugs which are fixed in our code.

It's nice to have a clean tree, but more important to not break
existing configs, so if it's just consistency and cleanliness,
I see no reason to break what users already have.    If there's
no other way to fix bugs, that's one thing, but if we're breaking
users just because we can, that's a serious mistake I'd like to
avoid.

Now, that's not to say I don't appreciate the work put into trying
to get the layouts working, and I'd like to see a way to use that
work without breaking users who are already happy with their config.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com