Proposed change to xorgcfg

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Mon Apr 11 08:50:40 PDT 2005

Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Kean Johnston wrote:
>
>> Jay Cotton wrote:
>>
>>> A good call.  Have you filed a bug ?
>>

>> I hadn't yet. I wanted to understand why it is the way it is
>> first :)
>

> The main reason is that not much time or energy has been invested in
> xf86cfg/xorgcfg since XFree86 has introduced DDC probes and
> autoconfiguration.
> Morevover most Linux distros ship their own configuration programs.

Our config tool links to libxf86config however.  We patch the
library to fix this bug though, as X.Org rejected the patch
previously for rather poor reason IMHO.

The reason if I recall correctly, is that DDC should be used
by default, and if you do not have a working DDC setup for any
reason, then you should be forced to hand edit your config file,
even if you're a dentist.  ;o)