nv driver fails with Xorg 6.8.2 (GeForce FX 5200/FreeBSD)

Lachlan Michael lachlan at lkla.dhs.org
Tue Apr 5 20:14:42 PDT 2005

Dear All,

After an upgrade from Xorg 6.8.2 to Xorg 6.8.2 on FreeBSD 5.3 (Stable) I
have been unable to get the X server to start. The card (NVidia GeForce FX
5200) seems to be detected correctly, but the X server core dumps with no
useful message (to me, anyway). I want to use the native nv driver. Please
see the attached log and configuration file. The files are also at
http://lachlan.lkla.dhs.org/xorg_problems/
 in case they are stripped from this mail.

The driver and card worked fine with 6.8.0 and 6.8.1 (and with XFree86 4.x
before that) so I suspect that something has changed with the recent
changes to the nv driver as mentioned in the Release Notes. The problem
began to occur after a routine portupgrade on FreeBSD (which I assume
included that 6.8.2 files).

The machine in question also has Windows 200 installed dual-boot, so
hardware problems can probably be ruled out.

Is there some setting that I have missed  or that I should try? I'd be
grateful for any help. Thanks.

Lachlan