X[Shm]GetImage is slow; what can I do about this?

Jonathan Lennox lennox at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 5 12:50:32 PDT 2005

On Monday, April 4 2005, "Joel Dice" wrote to "Jonathan Lennox, xorg at lists.freedesktop.org" saying:

> Also, I noticed a
> dramatic improvement in XGetImage speed when switching from the free nv
> driver to the proprietary nvidia driver.  On my nVidia 6600GT under Linux,
> the performance is excellent.

Indeed, this has made all the difference!  Getting the entire 1280x1024
desktop takes approximately 50 ms with the proprietary nvidia driver, and
smaller damage areas are of course faster.  Thank you!

What kind of performace could be expected with other graphics cards?

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox at cs dot columbia dot edu