finding process id of a window

Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com
Mon Apr 4 21:13:56 PDT 2005

Thanks Marcus,

How can I know (in advance) that my window manager supports this property ?
I use dtwm (wich CDE).

Thanks

Yossi

                      Marcus Schäfer
                      <ms at suse.de>             To:      Yossi.Itzkovich at ecitele.com
                                               cc:      xorg at lists.freedesktop.org
                      04/04/2005 08:41         Subject: Re: finding process id of a window

Hi,

> I have few  X applications, started from the command line with identical
> command line, but each has a different DISPLAY environment variable.
> Is there a way to get the process id of a process from its window ?
>
> Using xlsclients I can get the command line of the application, but since
> all of them use same command line, I can't find unique process id.
>
> Thanks for your help.

maybe the _NET_WM_PID property can help here:
please note this will only work if the _NET_WM_PID property can
be accessed and thus a windowmanager doing this is required.

Regards
Marcus