Heads up on CVS version numbers (bug #2854)

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Apr 1 16:44:00 PST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 05:59:31PM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> Currently CVS checkouts report themselves as 6.8.1.99.  This is clearly wrong,
> because it implies that it's a pre-6.8.2 version.  It needs to be bumped to
> 6.8.99.x to indicate that it's approaching 6.9.

Agreed.

> I'd like to suggest automatically tagging CVS every two weeks or so with
> incremental version numbers, and also generating snapshot tarballs based on
> these tags.  I'd be happy to set up a cron job to do this automatically if
> people think it's a good idea.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on automatic tagging and
generating tarballs, but it would be nice to verify that the tree is in
a buildable state before tagging.  However, this would require much more
work.  Perhaps if we find that a tag is known to be bad, we could just
pull the tarballs.

I wonder if there is a way to hook this process into tinderbox to have
the tarballs test built before they are made available for download.

> I'll tag CVS as 6.8.99.1 this weekend.

Sounds good.

Kevin